Sunday 29 November 2015

Gonzo's Tea Room, London Street, Norwich

Apologies for the lack of posts recently, I'm starting a new job on Monday, so I have been busy handing over and getting prepared!

Gonzo's Team Room is a relative newcomer for food offerings in Norwich, with previous incarnations being more as a late night bar. I'd seen a picture of the burgers on Facebook and decided to pop there with a friend after work a few Friday's ago.

The unique decor is definitely a talking point - lots of wood, antique furniture, sofas and armchairs with a selection of cuddly toys (muppets, hence the name!) and low level lighting. We were early arrivals (around 5.30pm), so had no problems with getting a table in the petite venue.

First up, cocktails. My dinner companion for the evening went for a Blood Orange Collins, but I could not decide. I was asked what I liked to drink and the barman recommended a raspberry gin cocktail that he had been trying out that day and whipped one up for me.

Cocktails by candlelight
Happy Hour deals are available earlier in the evening - two for £10.

Gonzo's offer over 20 varieties of chicken wings including some interesting varieties, such as Wasabi Ninja, Canadian Maple & Bacon, Coca-Cola and Peanut Butter & Jelly. Between 3 and 6pm they are 25p a wing when you purchase a drink, which is a great price to sample them! I was tempted, but had already been warned about the portion size of the burgers! Next time for sure!

There is a huge burger selection. I already had my eye on one I had seen on their Facebook page - the Bry and Adams Burger (the owner is Canadian, I believe), £9.50 (I paid an extra £1 to have sweet potato fries. A beef burger with bacon and cheese with a french toast bun covered in maple syrup and topped with crispy bacon bits. 

Out came a rustic wooden board with the biggest bowl of sweet potato fries I have ever seen! Unfortunately my photos do not do it justice, particularly with the low lighting.

Bry and Adams burger with sweet potato fries, £10.50
Better picture courtesy of Gonzo's Facebook page
The burger was delicious. A decent beef burger with crisp bacon. Maple syrup and bacon is already a firm favourite of mine and I was not disappointed. The French toast top with the crispy bacon bits made it fairly difficult to eat - but I definitely managed! I was, however, completely defeated by the sweet potato fries! 


Close up
Thankfully my friend took a photo of the Mother Trucker burger, £9.50 - a large piece of Southern Fried Chicken topped with pulled pork and BBQ sauce with a huge portion of fries. It was also a hit (again, apologies about the photo lighting).

Mother Trucker, £9.50
Neither of us were able to finish our fries. The burgers were so huge and really tasty. Definitely some of the best quality ingredients of the many burger options available in Norwich. There were so many options on the menu that I definitely need a few more trips to sample some of the other options. There are also some menu options featuring Venison.

If the cold weather has caused you to hibernate until Spring, food can also be ordered from Deliveroo and Just Eat.

Food - 9/10
Service - 9/10 (great bar and waiting staff - friendly)
Atmosphere - 8/10 (fairly dark so slightly difficult to see the food!)
Value for Money - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment